Dr Ashfaq Khan
Mr Khan is founder and clinical director of Harley Street Gynaecology. He is also working as the consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist at Whittington Hospital, London NHS. He is the Lead Clinician (Head of the Unit) for Colposcopy and Vulva Disease. This unit is one of the largest Centres for the Lower Genital tract disease in the UK. He is also The Director of cervical screening program London (CSPL).
He chairs MDT (Multi disciplinary team) meetings and decides on complicated cases in colposcoscopy and other lower genital tract diseases and an active member of General Gynaecology MDT.
Mr Khan was the Lead for Quality improvement (Gynaecology service) and The Chair of Gynaecology Governance Group of the NHS trust.
He acquired experience working as Specialist Registrar of Sir Marcus Setchel (The Royal Obstetrician and Gynaecologist). He was the clinical research fellow of the world renowned Prof. Albert Singer (Founder of British colposcopy Society), with whom he co-authored a textbook. Mr Khan was mentored by Prof David Latchman (World renowned Bio molecular scientist and Master of Birckbeck University) for his research on Bio-Marker in HPV infection.
Mr Khan is an experienced colposcopist, an area in which he has also achieved excellent audited treatment results. He performs more than 500 colposcopy examinations and treatment per year. He has successfully lead and completed research in the molecular immunology of HPV infection and Cervical pre cancer. He is the only British Specialist Colposcopist who won Ranzo Barraso Award (Prestigious Founder award) from European Federation of Colposcopy. His biography has been included for ‘Who is Who in the world ‘ 2010 edition for his outstanding contribution in clinical research and medical education.
Mr Ashfar Khan is:
- Certified trainer of the British Colposcopy Society and the chief trainer of the Whittington Hospital Colposcopy Unit.
- Supervisor of Advanced Training module (ATSM) of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists for London Deanery.
- Moderator of post graduate courses in the UK for the Royal College exams.
- Course Director of Advanced and Basic Colposcopy Courses in the UK, Gulf, South Asia & Africa.
- Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer of UCL medical school of London.
- Examiner of final year medical students.
- Best Abstract: British Colposcopy Society Scientific Conference 2007, 2009, 2011
- Best Oral Presentation: British Colposcopy Society Scientific Conference 2007
- Ranzo Barraso Award from European Federation of Colposcopy (EFC) 2007
Mr. Khan and Prof Albert Singer co authored and edited this Best selling book on colposcopy and vulva disease.
This book contains in-depth examination of the different modalities that contribute to the safe and scientific management of precancerous lesions in the female genital tract.
The book “Cervical and Lower Genital Tract Precancer: Diagnosis and Treatment” was pubished by Wiley Blackwell in 2014.
- The cellular transcription factor Brn-3a and the smoking-related substance nicotine interact to regulate the activity of the HPV URR in the cervix. ———- Published in Oncogene journal.
- The HPV cellular trans-activator Brn-3a Can be used to Predict Cervical Adenocarcinoma and Squamous Carcinoma Pre-cancer Lesions in the Development and Developing Worlds ———- Published in Oncogene journal
- The Benefit of Human Papillomavirus Testing in Predicting Cervical Cancer ———- Published in European Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Biomarkers in Cervical Pre-Cancer Management : The New Frontiers ———- Published in Future Oncol.
- The Role of HPV Testing in the Screening and Diagnosis of Cervical Cancer ———- Published in Asia Pacific Journal of Oncology & Hematology.
- Smoking and multicentic vulval intraepithelial neoplasia. ———- Published in The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
- Parastic dermoid cyst managed laparoscopically in a 29-year-old woman ———- Published in Jmed Case Reports.
- HPV Vaccine :
- A Screening Challenge ———- Published in Journal for GPs Pulse
- HR-HPV DNA to difference between cervical pemphigus and CIN: a case report ———- Published in Arch Gynaecol Obstet.
- Cervical screening and colposcopy ———- Published in MIMS. August.
- Is cervical pessary an answer to preterm delivery? ———- Published in Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
Invited Speaker/ Lecturer:
- Colposcopy for Glandular Intra epithelial neoplasia . Ukraine Gynae- Oncology Society December 2018, Kiev , Ukraine.
- Colposcopy Workshops for Senior Colposcopists from Europe December 2018 Lisbon, Portugal.
- Basic Colposcopy Course 2014-2019 Dubai.
- Advanced Masterclass on Lower Genital Tract Disease 2015-2018 Dubai.
- Basic principles of Colposcopy at EuroGIN Conference October 2017 Amsterdam.
- Useful Biomarkers in clinical practice 2016. June 2016 Salzburg , Austria.
- Research advances in Biomarker in Cercial Cancer 4th International Obstetrics & Gynecology Summit June 2017, Shanghai ,China.
- Biomarkers in Colposcopy Practices . Asia Oceania research organisation on Genital Infections and Neoplasia AOGIN October 2015, Vellore India.
- Why HPV becomes carcinogenic. World Summit on Anti virus. July 2009 Beijing, China
- Suspicious looking Cervix : The Myth, The Mystry and The fact . NE Thames Regional training for GU medicine STs February 2011 London
- Treatment of Cervical pre Cancer Scientific Congress of Oncology Society 2010 Colombo ,SriLanka.
- Epigentic marker in detection of Cervical pre cancer . FIGO Congress 2009 , Cape Town, South Africa .
Biomarkers in cervical precancer : Now and future. Scientific meeting for European federation of colposcopy , December 2008 Birmingham.
- Biomarkers in cervical cancer:New Frontier – North East Thames Obstetrics and Gynaecology regional meeting, November 2007 London.
- ‘Colposcopy of abnormal cervix’ at first cervical cancer symposium , October 2008 Khatoum Sudan .
- ‘Real time techniques in cervical screening’ at first cervical cancer symposium , October 2008 Khatoum , Sudan.
- New techniques in Cervical Screening , European Federation of Colposcopy , 2007, Serbia.
- Use of transcription factor Brn3a in cervical precancer at Deaprtment of Gynae Oncology Vanderbilt University, September 2007 Nashville, Tennessee, USA .
- ‘Colposcopy of Glandular abnormality’ Institute of Biomedical Scientists conference, September 2007 Birmingham.